Case Study - Billings Montana - Community
Volunteers Support Traditional 'Police' Functions
Invitational Leadership is especially
important with volunteers
Explore link to Gandhi and Martin Luther King non-violent / 'Invitational' approaches.
link to book 'Influencers' which tracks success when recent volunteers are assigned to train more recent volunteers
in a vital behavior.....
Citizens Police Academy - recruit volunteers and provide appropriate recognition of police
skills and expertise
Big lessons -
- "Let me see if I understand / actually framing the issue
- Managing Trust and Agreement
- Give people choices, after 'laying it all
out for them'
- make a decision in a timely way
- be careful of getting another monkey on your back